By Kevin Nelson
Technology keeps changing the landscape of education. The virtual reality now allows students to visit different parts of the world without having to leave the classroom. Using iPads in the classrooms helped significantly improve the performance of some students. And now comes the turn of artificial intelligence.
It will by no means substitute the teachers but it can empower them and help them teach more effectively.
So, to understand whether there is future for artificial intelligence, let’s see what good reasons there are to opt for it inside the classroom.
Why opt for the Artificial Intelligence
- Immersive experience. With the vast possibilities available for modern students, it is hard to keep them engaged in the class. However, new, fresh and exciting machine learning can motivate them to stay focused and really try to digest the information. Many people use AI outside the classroom to create that memorable experience and interest people in something. Now it is time for schools to apply the same techniques!
- Creativity boost. With conventional methods slowly fading away in education, tutors must find something to substitute them and help young people develop that priceless problem-solving mindset. AI can help you here, too. With its vast possibilities, you no longer need to make students come up with boring compare and contrast essay topics, they can actually experience some of the things they compare and write with pleasure.
- Personalized education. AI makes education personalized. With machine learning available in the classroom, tutors can create individual programs for every child. This will help them meet the specific needs of students. And think of how much time and effort of a teacher it will save!
These are only a few benefits AI brings into the classroom. Now let’s analyze what we should all look out for in the future.
Future of AI in Education
- Less time on grading. It is not a secret that teachers spend hours assessing students’ papers. With artificial intelligence and special software developed for these purposes, tutors can easily trust AI with assessments and focus on personalized programs development, planning, etc. This truly will be a huge leap forward for schools. So, keep your fingers crossed for it to happen!
- Curriculum personalization. Now, with AI taking over the education world, schools can offer their students programs that are tailored to their specific needs. No need to try and squeeze the most out of the program for every student. Every child studies at their own pace, faces their own specific difficulties, and struggles with unique challenges. And once all this data is added into the program, it can simplify the information for this particular kid to understand it. And even in the higher educational establishments, students will be able to study at the pace they are more comfortable with. And this is beneficial not only to schools but to whole communities: AI can turn regular students into highly-performing professionals.
- Improvement suggestions. Machines can now generate feedback on the performance of both students and their educators. The thing is that after the completion of the course, a program can provide feedback on the success of the course in general based on the grades a student got at the exam and level of knowledge they obtained. And smart educators can use this feedback to optimize the education.
- Better learning experience. Now, with an ability to immerse in the experience, educators can help students dive into the process rather than use good old direct instructional methods. Immersive experience can turn conventional education into a fun and exciting thing and improve the quality and quantity of information normally consumed by students.
- A new way to interact with information. AI in the classroom with help students conduct in-depth research and search the facts in a brand-new way. It will be nothing like what modern students do now. Just take a look at what AI-based services like Siri have done to the way we interact with information! This is how our educational experience will change in the upcoming decades.
Artificial Intelligence is the future. Trusted sources state that its market will soon surpass the $100 billion mark and will keep growing. CMO reports that “By 2018, 75% of developer teams will include AI functionality in one or more application or service.”
And AI will definitely have a strong impact on education too. With an opportunity to pass on tedious tasks to the smart machines, schools will not miss a chance to dump these tasks on AI and focus on core tasks.
And you should be ready for that and look out for opportunities to implement AI in your classroom too!
Kevin is a professional educator and a private tutor with over 8 years of experience. He is also a content writer for various blogs about higher education, entertainment, social media & blogging. During his off time, Kevin enjoys traveling and cooking. Feel free to connect with him on Twitter, LinkedIn & Google+.